Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Of Christmas trees and toilet rolls...

Entry for March 04, 2009
It seems that Alex and I are a little unconventional when it comes to the day to day activities that most people perform by convention!

Now, where was I meaning to go with this... Ah yes - Last night I took down our Christmas tree... A bit late you say, honestly we just don’t give a sideways toss about that sort of shit.

I think last year we got it down just after Easter – which I thought was reasonably appropriate despite the odd looks and scornful comments from others.
The year before didn’t see the Christmas tree out of the lounge until about August! And then it really only happened because I bowed to pressure from my mom who insisted that she felt a little creeped out by it.

Alex and I just liked the pretty lights –

I think we find it so easy to live with each other because we live under a common premise – ‘Worry about the big things, the little things will take care of themselves’.

We worry about making sure that we are both as happy as possible, the fridge is full, school uniforms are washed, the car works, the internet works and the bills are paid, oh yeah and our family and friends are safe and happy – the rest can wait in our book.

Some families have arguments generated by the most smallest of “things” not the least of which is due to the monotonously repeated suggestions by parents, that a child’s certain behaviors change or be modified.

Alex and I consider most of these things fall into the “little things” category and rather than allow them to become a bone of contention we often choose to take the piss out of them.

For example: How many times have you heard the battle cry – “put the empty roll in the rubbish bin and put a new roll in the holder damnit – how many times do I have to tell you!”, when mom or dad have been in the loo for a few minutes?
Alex and I attempt to amuse each other by... not disposing of the empty toilet roll in the laziest way possible. My best to date, according to Alex was to leave the empty roll on the dispenser and plonk the new roll on top of it. She on the other hand took the cake in my view by storing the empty rolls on the handle of the toilet brush, although admittedly, throwing several empty rolls into the hand basin and leaving one on the floor beside the rubbish bin was a nice touch as well!
Sometimes we wear socks in the kitchen when we’re making dinner because neither of us can be bothered mopping the floor and it just seems a whole heap easier to throw dirty socks into the washing machine than get out the floor mop and bucket and argue over who’s going to do it.

Lazy? Maybe.

Efficient? Definitely!

So anyway the Christmas tree is no longer in the lounge – it’s now in the spare room, we leave it up and fully decorated, it saves going through all the hassle of re-decorating it and untangling all those lights next year.

...I know I deserve a bloody good clap round the head.

Much Love.

Currently listening to:

Fallen - Evanescence

No comments:

Post a Comment