Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Of pet peeves...

Entry for September 17, 2008

15/09/2008

Daryl.W

So hurricanes Gustav, Hanna and Ike have all but passed and again I‘m left wondering about the manner in which these events are reported.

Wind speeds and rainfall are always of interest to me but one of the measurements nearly always presented to us, is the estimated cost of the damage.

Why?

Why is it so important? Who the hell cares about the dollar cost?

What – am I supposed to be angry at the nasty hurricane for costing the insurance community a whole truck load of money?

Am I supposed to feel guilty that it didn’t cost me a thing?

No single individual is going to be getting their wallet out to pay for it are they?

Let’s face it, the number of zeros attached to the figures that get quoted, put the number straight into the “I can’t even imagine that many - anything’s, let alone dollars” category which means I forget it almost instantly anyway!

Guess it’s just me and one of those ‘pet peeves’ things.

No comments:

Post a Comment