Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Of electricity and hair removal...

Entry for September 17, 2008

27/08/2008

Daryl.W

Yesterday wasn’t what I would call a good day.

Alex had come to tell me that she was having her eyebrows waxed somewhere or other and an idea I had been brewing for sometime suddenly gained a lot more momentum.

Having to shave everyday pisses me off and for many years I had been toying with the idea of designing and building an electrolysis tool.

I sat and explained the theory to Alex but she seemed a little hesitant to let me experiment on her eyebrows.

So once again the job of test dummy fell to me...

Now the theory is quite simple; apply the prerequisite voltage across your skin and the tip of the hair you wish to remove – hey presto a current flows through the hair tip into your skin and fries the root – simplicity itself.

Armed with little to no research I moved immediately into experimental mode.

Problem: How much voltage would I need to apply across the skin/hair to create enough current flow to burn the root?

I reasoned that it would not take a lot of energy to burn the root, but it would take a reasonable amount of voltage to get any current to flow through hair.

Building the device I required to generate the voltage I needed was elementary enough and by designing it with a large range of adjustability it meant that I could – hopefully - gently increase the output until I achieved the desired result.

If I had of bothered to do a little more research I would have discovered that the small units already available to the consumer make it quite clear that a salt solution needs to be applied directly to the skin, both at the treatment area and where the other probe makes contact with the skin. The effect of the salt solution is of course to increase the conductivity meaning dangerously high voltages are not necessary in order to create the required current flow.

However, I had not bothered to do a little more research!

And so - somewhere around the 30,000 volt mark a small blue spark completely ignored the hair I was attempting to destroy and leapt from the probe tip directly to my skin.

It wasn’t so bad as electric shocks go. But it was very hot and it did kind of catch me by surprise and given that I had one probe sticky taped to my right hand and the spark had touched down on my left arm I was left feeling like an unwilling participant in a de-fibrillation demonstration.

The worst of it was that during my natural reaction to pull away from the diabolical contraption I managed to yank it off the bench in front of me and into my lap whereupon multiple sparks began to leap from the un-insulated terminations of the circuit board through my jeans and into my crotch!

Oh it burns, it burns.

Thankfully it all came to a close when, kicking and convulsing violently I fell heavily to the floor and most of the damned wires attached to both myself and the dastardly device ripped out.

Suffice to say the project has been binned. And if Alex ever wants to travel down that road I’ll recommend the device below.

http://www.folica.com/Vector_Electrol_d1790.html

**Note to self**

Never let an electric fence come anywhere near your testicles.


No comments:

Post a Comment